Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Weight Loss Challenge

As you have seen here in a prior post by Melody about running, we have been trying to live healthier lifestyles. After months of doing really well, we have both hit a wall and are constantly seeking new ways to stay motivated. I recently ran across a blog entry of an old friend who did a weight loss competition and lost 28 pounds, winning $500.


Because we enjoy money and want to lose more weight, we are starting a weight loss competition and invite everyone to join. To join, you need to pay $10. The winner will take the entire pot. The prize awarded will depend on the number of participants.


Details


How long: The contest will last eight weeks, beginning as soon as we have at least 10 participants.


The Format: Have you ever seen The Biggest Loser on NBC? It is a weight loss challenge where people compete to lose the most weight, calculated by percentage of weight lost. If A weighs 250 pounds and loses 25 pounds, he has lost 10% of his body weight. If B weighs 150 pounds and loses 15 pounds, she has lost 10% of her body weight. For the purposes of the challenge, A and B are tied. The reason for basing the contest on percent of body weight lost is to level the playing field. Our contest will also be based on percent of body weight lost.


The Rules: When we decide on a beginning date, each participant will be required to submit their official starting weight. You can email it to me and I will not disclose the number to anyone.We will designate Monday as the official weigh-in day. Each Monday you must weigh yourself and send me the latest weight. Again I will keep the actual number confidential. I will calculate the percent of weight lost that week and make a new blog post listing the top three losers and their percent of weight lost. At the end of the eight weeks, whoever has lost the greatest percentage of body weight will take the pot. As I mentioned above, I want to wait until we have at least 10 participants so the pot will be at least $100 but hopefully more (just enough to buy a new outfit to show off your new look).


If you are interested, leave us a comment or let us know on Facebook and we will email you with more details.

10 comments:

The Hill family said...

This challenge sounds like fun. I am totally going to talk to David and get him in on it.I will let you know if we decide to do it.

Bizzle said...

So I'm totally up for it, but I'm pretty sure I'd lose since I can't exercise :). Good luck with the competition, and I'll let Billy know about it!

Amy said...

I'm totally in and I'll ask Shawn about it.

Tamara said...

Okay, sounds good! I'll try to remember to bring $10 bucks to church on Sunday.

maynardmoments said...

Sounds like fun and it is a great idea! You guys crack me up! I unfortunately can't participate. Check out our blog for my reason. Good luck though!
Becky
www.maynardmoments.blogspot.com

Law School Blues said...

You can count me in, if you are up for some serious competition! I WILL take the pot! :-)

Henline said...

I guess I will join. Nothing gets me to try anymore. Any way we can up the pot to 15 or 20 per person and add a consolation 2nd place?

I will get Ashley to join too. She has been pretty fat the past couple of weeks. I can't be married to a fatty (double standard I know). Please email us the official forms and such. We are ready to go.

Since I still don't have a job I will have to pretend this is my only method of employment.

Shannon said...

I'm totally in. My family is doing their own "biggest loser," but the money sounds a lot more motivating. :) I gotta get this baby weight off, then a whole bunch more!!! I'll hunt you guys down at Church Sunday.

Brett Nelson said...

I'm in, let me know when i should start.

Brett Nelson

Brandon and Melody said...

We are going to start next Monday (3/23). More details to follow soon.